Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Twelve years and counting

I have been working at the same company for 12 years now. Never really thought it was a biggie, until three of my colleagues asked me last month, how I could stay in the same place, doing the same thing, year in, year out. Three same questions, three separate occassions. One raised two eyebrows at me - 'You don't get tired ah?'

I gave them all the same answer. The honest answer. Which is simply that I love my job.

But if you know me, the answer is never simple. Nope, I had to think it to death, as I generally do with almost everything.

Yeah, I thought about it all weekend. What is it about this job that I love. Why do I love it? What is it that keeps me going, that I can happily work seven days a week and not tire of it. That I can put in twelve-hour days and still be smiling.

Ah it's not always sunshine and roses. Au Contraire. I've had black moments where I would have happily fed some moronic idiots to the crocodiles.

Twelve reasons why I really love my job?

#1. I love my boss.
#2. I love most of the people I work with. They are generally fun, sincere, hardworking, with hearts of gold.
#3. I love that this job consumes me and I'm never bored.
#4. I love it that I have new problems everyday.
#5. I love it that I get to teach and train young leaders.
#6. I love it so much that I get to touch young people's lives and watch them grow.
#7. I love my sexy car.
#8. I love that it only takes me 5 minutes to drive to work.
#9. I love it that I know the business well
#10. I love it that I know the processes well
#11. I love that I can give so much and education is my biggest passion
#12. And of course - I love my pay.

It has been an awesome twelve years.