Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Back to Reading Again

Back when there was no Internet, and no kids, my favourite thing was a good book, a can of coke and twisties. And by a good book, it gotta be fiction. I mean who in their right mind would want to devour anything serious and call it pleasurable, kan? Mad.

I went mad. Oh, probably around the time I started being in a managerial position and realised I knew next to nothing about how to go about it. So how like that? Must read lah. No choice. So I started frantically seeking out those self-help books. I have a good collection now. Want to see some?




But the thing with me is, I would start off reading, complete with Twisties and Cocacola by my side, and about half way through, I would chuck them aside. They're either boring, or not telling me anything I didn't already knew.

So for a few years now, I've stopped buying non-fiction. And thus had sort of a hiatus from serious reading.

With fiction, I would read like a quarter of the book, then quickly flipped to the last few pages. And if I liked the ending, I would take it to the bath with me and read it ever so slowly.

But this book I picked up last week, ooh. Absolutely love it.


I think it was written especially for me. Cos I love her writing style, the examples, the inspirational stories of everyday businesses, the whole works. I'm not kidding. You can just read it like a novel, it's so entertaining. And unlike some marketing books, it doesn't try too hard, know what I mean? It's just a great book, filled with great ideas and it's clear the author has very real practical experiences. Stuff I wish I knew twenty years ago.

I like books like this. Meaty. Entertaining, yet meaty. I so like. Drives me wild allright.