Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Dearest Mummy,

Happy Mother's Day!

First thing I want to say - I love you. You are the best mom. Beautiful inside and out, you are the Glue that hold us all together.




Second thing I want to say - I MISS your cooking. Arrggh. Don't I hate it. Living across the South China Sea from you, and those two sisters of mine are forever enjoying your cooking. Did you notice they are getting fat?? Gawd, I miss the otak-otak, the perut ikan, steamboat, asam laksa, hokkien mee.

I can't cook nearly as well as you. Did I tell you that Gab would sometimes take a look at my dishes and say "Let's go to McDonalds?". Sigh.

I can't juggle my life as well as you did. You seemed to do so everything so effortlessly.

What, you used to wake up at 5 in the morning. Madness! I remember that so well. Because I used to wonder if you were normal. Woke up that early just to prepare breakfast AND lunch for us!? And then rush off to the hospital for your morning duty before 7am.

On weekends you used to go to those awful smelling wet markets, again, at a very ungodly hour. I know lah, cos I went with you too, remember? I enjoyed listening to you bargain with the wet market traders. You would touch the vegetables in those big straw baskets and politely asked how much. Then, even before the vege seller could finish her sentence, you were already frowning and shaking your head in utter disbelief. Haaa? Awat mahal sangat! And I would stand behind you, part in embarassment, part trying not to laugh.

Now, with 3 kids of my own, I wonder how you managed us three willful girls, one husband, one demanding job, two dogs and a house that's almost always messed up by the three girls. And still managed to do gardening, baking, getting so involved in the women's group, watching over your other two lazy daughters (never me tho!), and all those insane stuff that you do. Talk about multitasking!

Now, when I get too overwhelmed, by the problems at work or the seemingless never ending house chores, I think, if you could do it, well, so can I. You're my inspiration.



I love you, Mum. Happy Mother's Day.