Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ramadan Mubarak

Ooooh. I love the month of Ramadhan. Not that I fast. I don't do fasting very well. Nor do I do dieting very well.

Sigh, I remember the day I tried dieting. A colleague in KL had just completed the Cabbage Soup Diet, which is basically just a 7-day diet and throughout it all, you can consume as much soup as you want. After the diet, she lost some weight but the real catch for me was that her skin was glowing!

I wanted, coveted, her glowing skin. So gorgeous.

Only 7 days.. Of course I could do it right? The first day it was supposed to be just fruits, as much as you can take, plus the soup. On the day of reckoning, I woke up late, about 10 a.m., told my maid to cook the soup, and cut me some fruits. (Quite the tai-tai back then) And plonked myself down in front of the tv.

I have always prided myself on being a strong person. The determined sort, with nerves of steel. If I wanted to do something, nothing could stand in the way.

Hmph! Apparently not when it comes to food.

When the first waft of freshly cooked rice reached me, I swear my neighbours could hear me groan. Rice never smelled so good. And thus was the end of my cabbage soup diet. I never tried again.
So this month, I am going to haunt all those Bazaar Ramadhan stalls, set up everywhere. Love the curries, rendangs, kuih, ikan bakar, bubur lambuk, bubur pedas.







Especially the Bubur Pedas Sarawak. They only have this in the fasting month and it's such a delicious concoction. Something like the bubur lambuk in KL, but with no rice in it.


You haven't lived until you tasted this. And then you'll be like me. A slave forever.

Happy Fasting to all my Muslim friends.

Happy Feasting to me.