Sunday, September 4, 2011

Breakfast @ Kuching

Kuchingites are a quirky lot. They can't live without kolok mee. It's just dry noodles really, with mince meat, cha siew and some red cha siew sauce.


I don't get how this can be so addictive. In fact, when I first moved to Kuching, I didn't appreciate it much. But ask any true blue Kuchingite. In fact, just mention kolok mee, and watch them get weak in the knees.




Now, Sarawak Laksa, I like. I can eat this everyday. It's very different from Penang Laksa. This, I liked from the first slurrp. This, I would kill for. I particular like the one from Chong Choon Cafe at Abell Road. That bowl, I would scrape till the very last morsel and then lick it clean. Yums maximus.



This next one is another fave of mine. Comfort food. Foochow mee sua, with red wine. I hear Foochow women take this five times a day during confinement. Lucky them. It's light, but so super delicious. The chicken and mee sua, so infused with the red wine and ginger broth, is just simply yums. Even Nat, my picky little eater, digs this.

Simple fare. Simply yums.