Sunday, September 25, 2011

Of National and Vernacular schools

So much has been said about our state of education. Of national and vernacular schools. Of the teaching of maths and science in English or in Bahasa Malaysia. Of Article 152. Of the decline of the English language. Of the quality of our graduates, or lack thereof.

Everyone seems to have something to say, no matter how really off tangent. And particularly when we talk about vernacular schools.

Early in the year, I thought with the Prime Minister's assurance that vernacular schools are here to stay, this would no no longer be an issue. We would stop talking about closing vernacular schools. We would accept that in this country, we would always have diversity. And one day, maybe even learn to truly celebrate this diversity. And we would always have a dual school system and the way forward would be to discuss on improving school management. Education reforms would centre on delivering quality and producing a thinking generation.





But no. Still an issue. Still very much a thorn. There are many who would still bemoan that vernacular schools promote racial segregation and obstuct national unity. Do they really? And they argue that if we really are Malaysians and if we want to see a truly 1Malaysia, we should send our children only to national schools. For country and unity.

Why do people think that if we are all educated the same way, speak the same language and suffer the same system, we will then be united.

17 years ago, I made the decision to send my child to a national school, rather than to a chinese vernacular school. It wasn't because I wanted her to mix with other races. It wasn't because I was turning my back on Mandarin. It wasn't because I was more malaysian.

Being the dreamer that I was, I wanted my kids to enjoy their growing up years. I wanted them to have time to play, watch TV, laze about, dream and go beyond textbooks. I wanted them to lose themselves in fairy tales and have a tad more imagination.



Yes, I knew in Chung Hwa school, she would most probably have far better teachers, master the mother tongue and be a mathematics genius. And she would learn discipline and be a very well mannered child. And would not have messy hair. A brighter future surely.

But I also know she would have endless pages of written homework. And not to mention the endless memorizing and reciting of multiplication tables. The regimented style, the rote learning - those weren't quite the turn on. Not for me.


So national schools or vernacular schools? There is no one right system of education. There is no moral high ground.

My beef is with those who refused to see it for what it is. What education must be, it must be relevant. Whether national or vernacular school, we should teach our children not only the rudiments of reading and writing, not only science and maths, but also allow them to think critically, and give them space to discover their talents and interests.

We tell our children what they can be. Do we also teach them who they are and who they can be?